TMR's in the housseeeeeee!

My photo
6 pair of kicks is my definition of 12 steps

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"I’m a good person that said a bad thing" and i quote

I love working at a school...double Spring Break!!!!!

So, in the spirit of Spring Break I didn't wake up until 9. The morning routine starts with a prayer, roll over to check my phones and turn on the t.v. to catch the weather and some of the Today Show...oh ish! Where's my remote, I need to record this:

“…and believe me, I know, that that phrase didn’t originate in the white community. That phrase originated in the Black community. And I’m not stupid, I may be a white man but I know that these young women, young Black women all through THAT society are demeaned and discouraged and disrespected by their own Black men and that they are called that name. And I know that that doesn’t give me obviously doesn’t give me any right to say it but it doesn’t give them any right to say it” -Imus

“but the problem is We are the price of tuition. Black people’s lives become the tuition for the learning of America. The question is, “Is that too high a price to pay?” It’s a teachable moment but at what expense?” - Michael Eric Dyson

I keep hearing how this situation is opening up room for conversation about racism and sexism...uh, didn't we think Katrina would do the same? Shock, outrage/anger, protest, apology, Ooh did you hear, they announced who Anna Nicole's babydaddy was. (the latter can be replaced by any media/celebrity phenomena of the day) What I can't seem to understand is how this situation is viewed as if racism is only practiced by certain individuals and can be reprimanded by public apologies...as if the media as an institution doesn't practice racism/sexism. As if employment diversity within this industry doesn't practice racism/sexism. We, as a nation are not willing to come to terms with our history or our present. We think that in order to be a racist you have to ride around in the night on a horse with sheets burning crosses. The sheets have long ago been replaced with business suits and those crosses...well those are our segregated houses, low wage jobs, unemployment, dilapidated schools, the 9th ward, GEE/LEAP tests, etc.

arite on to something else

As I read through the blogs I notice a certain theme...we are all on the home stretch. Our sanity and happiness lies between now and finals...let da grindin begin!

"I cried because I had no shoes, 'till I met a man who had no feet"
Over Spring Break my Stats teacher emailed us our test grade and midterm grade...dammit! Thanks Outlook for showing me the email without me having to open it! Although I really didn't study as well as I could've for the test, I thought I still would've done better than I did...damn C...so I was kinda bummed to know I had a B at midterm...til I got to class today and found out that damn near half the class had a C for midterm. Eh, that's the purpose for the quote.

"Do I sound stupid, or as if I don't know what I'm talking about?"
I'm taking this one undergrad class for grad credit and some of the students in the class aren't aware. After chatting with "da crew" after class I ran into this guy from our class. He immediately asked me what I got on my paper (we received back today). I chucked and told him I got an A. "How'd YOU get an A?" My immediate reaction was to pop da piss outta him...but i thought...what would Jesus do? Obviously this story doesn't end in me whaling on him...but "watch ya back son!"

Blog fam…it feels good to be back! I’m feeling like the prodigal blogger now. LMAO


Independent Lens has a new feature tonight called Black Gold, you should check it out

3 comments:

The Afro-Latino Crusader said...

Pop da piss, hilarious.

M.Dot. said...

My immediate reaction was to pop da piss outta him...but i thought...what would Jesus do?
===========
Jesus woulda said Pop that fool, and pray on it later.

Lol.

The Minority Reporter said...

"Spare the rod, spoil the child"
lol