"Diamonds all shinin, lookin all fine
Pretty little face, get a little high
Young girl stugglin, tryin to survive
Mother of the Earth, she made you and I
Just tired of playin the same ol' games
Messin with my mind, emotional thangs"
I agree with emphasizing the collective whiteness in doing antiracist training with white people irregardless to gender but I feel it is highly critical to interconnect systems of oppression such as race and sex when doing antiracist training with Blacks. I feel without the initial interconnection of oppression based on sex as well as race, race will trump gender, thereby perpetuating systems of sexual oppression for the sake of undoing racism. Someone I know used the example of a four way intersection, as she drives her car out into the intersection she gets hit and injured. When the police and medics come to help her, their immediate response is to treat her irregardless what part in the intersection she was injured in.
Having the Black church as the center of my life while simotaneously beginning to develop a deep racial analysis, I sometimes am unable to always see the interconnections of gender and racial oppressions based on the emphasis of the collective Blackness. Continuing to only have a deep racial analysis can consciously & unconsciously perpetuate my own oppression. The structured Black experience is Deeply patriarchal, while every other aspect conflicts with the white gender norms.
I feel like the single use of race irregardless to gender in the initial intervention is highly effective in whites because of the use of white commonality/white privilege to get to the core of racism in a colorblind world. While it is EXTREMELY detrimental to antiracism programs with Blacks because of the systematic invisibility of sexism and the hyper visibility of racism within the Black community.
Sunday, May 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2007
(82)
-
▼
May
(14)
- "Exactly...NFL stands for Not For Long!"
- This nicka always keeps the good beats for himself
- Ladies and gentlemen...I gots me some frienemies
- The Best Week Ever!!!
- *****WARNING*****
- I'm definately feeling this new L. Boogie joint!!!
- And there goes.. a black girl.. lost
- They say I walk around like i got a "S" on my chest
- I'm not perfect...but my G.P.A. is!!!! What!!!
- Now who wants to join me for a drank!!!!1
- "We have to invest in our prison system because it...
- Ahhh less than a week til I finish!!!!!
- I participated in a conversation that allowed my a...
- Going hard again!
-
▼
May
(14)

No comments:
Post a Comment