TMR's in the housseeeeeee!

My photo
6 pair of kicks is my definition of 12 steps

Saturday, May 19, 2007

They say I walk around like i got a "S" on my chest

What up B.F.?!?!?!?!?

Gosh, I really feel like it's been a minute...eh, well, maybe it has been.

Ooh great, Blogger saves my drafts automatically!!!!! Do you know how many a blogs have been mistakenly deleted before I hit the "publish post" button...whew!!!

My first semester of grad school has finally ended and I feel free in every sense of the word. I can just be at peace in whatever I'm doing without the worries of weekly briefs, readings, papers or damn SPSS assignments!!!!!!

and in case u ain't know...4.0 baby! I have never felt as proud of any one single accomplishment as I do over that. Ya'll just don't know!

This week I started my research/organizing project. One of the greatest divides is between the university, or yet, Black students in the university and their communities. More often then none predominant universities are in close proximity to lower class Black communities. This is often no coincidence but yet historical patterns of racism, housing segregation, gentrification, etc. There is great intimidation, lack of knowledge and understanding of what goes on in both communities by the other. Why is that? I think that's an all encompassing question but I take it as one of personal accountability. As I was browsing my documents on my computer I came across my statement of purpose to grad school in which these statements stuck out to me:

"As a native New Orleanian, I have witnessed first hand the devastation of institutions such as the public school system, prison system, and gentrification. Over these years, I have watched the people who are affected by these injustices silenced...I would also like to be actively committed to working directly with community and grassroots organizations in the renewing of the communities in New Orleans"

In that same thought I've been thinking about Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man (ummm, i can't underline) in which the protagonist states in the prologue:

"I am an invisible man … I am a man of substance, flesh and bone, fiber and liquids – and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me…When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves, or figments of their imagination – indeed, everything and anything except me.”

We acknowledge the poverty, crime, shitty school systems and institutional racism, but we aren't taught to look within and see the individual behind all those headlines. How can I proclaim to be a fighter for the people if I don't know the people...and the people don't know me....some fight huh?

"when I look at you, I see my reflection
So I offer my love, affection and protection"

No comments: