TMR's in the housseeeeeee!

My photo
6 pair of kicks is my definition of 12 steps

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hurt me soul (c) Lupe

"Somehow my light ya'll became my rain" (c) Common

I've been in this place too long.

I have to switch up my wardrobe, for my season is about to change.

So we got a little cool front in the area; I wonder how long this will last. Feels good though. I even took one of my scarves out of retirement. :-p (I learned this today)

OMG, oh sorry, I thought I wasn't tivo'n The Office

I over read someone’s blog discussing the ways in which we sell ourselves. It went on saying; the only reason we enroll in college, and put ourselves through unnecessary scrutiny and drama is to have an end result of more cash in da bank.

I chuckled cause I think she's young, and finds ways to justify why she's got undeniable talent and smarts but is now 19, married and pregnant. She's awesome but doesn't know her capabilities. Doesn't know that the world still rests in the palm of her hand that she's stuck in her back pocket.

Yeah, some people do equate success with wealth and hey, who doesn't want a nice salary to compensate for the hard work you've put in school over the years? And yeah, I do agree that you are selling yourself in interviews, internships, etc. but, is that where the buck stops? No, it isn't as simple as the cash transaction would like to believe...and trust, if it was about the money, I would've steered clear and far from a degree in the Liberal Arts field. No need to get on the nerd track but, school is fulfilling to me as a person. It enables me to grasp and understand theories, techniques, methods, and the history to understand the world around me. A degree in this field helps me to enable those around me...if I allow it. As we all know Cash Rules Everything Around Me, get the CREAM (c) Wu. Nothing's free, so in that mind, I have to pay to get ahead, but once I'm up there, what can I do to level the playing field for others? What are you doing? And again, what is your definition of success?

and i'm out.

i gotta book to finish and an office to watch.

holla

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Education makes you a better product, and it puts money in your pocket. But of course, that’s not the only reason to get educated. I’ve been hearing a lot of talk somewhat similar to this – college is a waste of time, college leaves you more confused than when you went in… That’s all crap for me. Some people I admire also like to say that education is a tool, mainly for making the world or your little corner of the world a better place, and I believe that. I learned ways of looking at the world that I’d never considered and probably would never have gotten to on my own. It’s a HUGE opportunity to open your mind and experience the world in a more informed, critical way. Some people perfect that knowledge on their own – not everyone needs a college education, some people don’t use it right, and it goes over some people’s heads, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that education is an important step for most people. I also say, if you’ve never been, or you didn’t have a real reason for dropping out, you don’t even realize what you’re criticizing.

So yeah... I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck like my parents, and I want the means to take care of myself and my family. But more importantly, I want to make sure that a big part of my life is dedicated to doing as much as I can for people.

Education is my way out of retail, which is endlessly selling yourself for the big nothing of the greater consumerist culture.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Education makes you a better product, and it puts money in your pocket. But of course, that’s not the only reason to get educated. I’ve been hearing a lot of talk somewhat similar to this – college is a waste of time, college leaves you more confused than when you went in… That’s all crap for me. Some people I admire also like to say that education is a tool, mainly for making the world or your little corner of the world a better place, and I believe that. I learned ways of looking at the world that I’d never considered and probably would never have gotten to on my own. It’s a HUGE opportunity to open your mind and experience the world in a more informed, critical way. Some people perfect that knowledge on their own – not everyone needs a college education, some people don’t use it right, and it goes over some people’s heads, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that education is an important step for most people. I also say, if you’ve never been, or you didn’t have a real reason for dropping out, you don’t even realize what you’re criticizing.

So yeah... I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck like my parents, and I want the means to take care of myself and my family. But more importantly, I want to make sure that a big part of my life is dedicated to doing as much as I can for people.

Education is my way out of retail, which is endlessly selling yourself for the big nothing of the greater consumerist culture.

The Minority Reporter said...

Janine, good to hear from ya!

"Education is my way out of retail, which is endlessly selling yourself for the big nothing of the greater consumerist culture."

Dope. You have to know, somewhere down the line, that comment will influence the advice I’ll give one of my youngins

I agree. I just think that most of the people I hear saying this, are in some way or another using it to justify their position, or lack of, in their own life.

It’s a trip because neither of my parents attended college, but I never conceived the thought of me not going. In my senior year in high school, we had “College day” and of course the armed forces were represented there. I walked straight past their table and I remember the guy asking me if I thought about joining the army. “Naw, I’m cool. The army ain’t for me” I replied. “So what makes you so sure college is for you” he fired back. “Well if it ain’t, my family gonna make it for me!”